Pick Up the Healthy Food Choices
Lesson Title: Pick up the Healthy Food Choices
Lesson Objectives: Students will learn to identify the specific foods that are either healthy or unhealthy.
Location(s) to play: Classroom, cafeteria, or gym
Time: 30 minutes
Summary of Tasks/Actions:
- Each student receives a balloon and writes a specific food item on it or onto a piece of paper that is taped to the balloon. Assign some students to write healthy foods, and some to write unhealthy foods. For example, a student might write the word “carrot” on the balloon. Have the students continue to label balloons until all of them are labeled.
- Divide the students into 4 teams. Scatter the balloons on the floor. Have each team line up in a single file line at a starting line behind their team’s basket.
- An afterschool counselor will have a timer and say “Start.”
- The first person from each team runs to the balloons and picks up one or more balloons that are healthy food items, and then runs back to their team’s basket to deposit the balloon(s).
- Once a team member deposits their balloon(s), the next team member will go and pick up another balloon(s). Everyone must have a turn to pick up a balloon.
- They will place those balloons in their team’s basket. The student can pick us as many balloons they can hold. When time is up, the team with the most balloons wins.
Balloons (about 5 balloons per participant, must be blown up ahead of time)
- What did you think of this game?
- What did you learn from the game?
- What would you change to make the learning stronger?
Prepare a lesson on the reasons why each food mentioned is healthy or unhealthy. Explain the health benefits of eating healthy and the harmful effects of eating unhealthy. Use the resources below:
- http://www.nourishinteractive.com/nutrition-education-printables (worksheets for healthy food groups)