Lesson Title: Food Group Relay Race
Lesson Objectives: Students will learn the different food groups that they should eat to maintain a healthy mind, body, and soul.
Location(s) to play: Gym or cafeteria
Time: 30 minutes
Summary of Tasks/Actions:
- Students will be divided into two lines.
- There will be four baskets titled whole grain, lean meat/meat alternative, vegetable, and fruit.
- Fill two different colored small bags with beans or beads. The colors represent the two teams.
- An afterschool counselor will have a whistle and will be naming each different specific food. When the counselor asks “Which group do(es) [specific food] belong to?” and blows the whistle.
- Each student from the line will run to place their bag in the basket as their answer and run back to the back of their team’s line. Determine the winning team after counting the correct answers in the basket.
10 to 15 small bags such as plastic or pouch bags
Beans or beads to fill the small bags
- What did you think of this game?
- What did you learn from the game?
- What would you change to make the learning stronger?
Foods under Whole Grains: Oatmeal, barley, quinoa, cereal, bread, bun, pita bread
Foods under Lean Meat/Meat Alternatives: Fish, egg, tofu, chicken, turkey, pork, lentil
Foods under Vegetables: Broccoli, carrot, beans, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, kale
Foods under Fruits: Apricots, cantaloupe, grapefruit, orange, banana, apple, pear