Long Island Training Institute
CANCELLED Due to Low Enrollment
Where: Child Care Council of Nassau, 99 Quentin Roosevelt Blvd, Garden City, NY 11530
When: Saturday, September 22, 2018 – 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Who: Front-line staff in school-age settings
- 6 hours of professional development in OCFS approved topic areas!
- Buffet Lunch!
- Lots of Networking Opportunities!
- Hands-on workshops!
Join Alli Lidie and Timothy Fowler for a day of school-age training! The Long Island Training Institute will cover topics relevant to school-age providers in afterschool, summer, and expanded learning programs. This day-long event features four 90-minute sessions (a total of 6 hours of training):
- Using the Quality Self-Assessment Tool (QSA) for Continuous Program Quality Improvement. This workshop will take a dive into the new 3rd Edition of the Quality Self-Assessment Tool. Learn how to use the free tool to shape staff development and buy-in for ongoing program quality improvement. OCFS 7.
- STEM: Engineering Design Process. Participants will form teams and attempt to build the best rocket (using balloons) for lifting heavy payloads. Emphasis in learning will be on the process used in designing, building, and prototyping designs, and how that emulates what professional engineers do. OCFS 3.
- STEM: Building STEM Identity in Youth. Learn strategies and techniques to help young people develop a sense of identity in a STEM area. This session will use the activity “Building for the Big One,” an engineering design challenge, to showcase how hands-on activity and intentional supervision can help young people see themselves as engineers or scientists. OCFS 3.
- Engaging Families Beyond the Spaghetti Dinner. True family engagement can be difficult, but it’s worth it! Learn effective strategies for overcoming barriers to engagement and techniques to reach more families in meaningful ways. OCFS 7.
Maximum enrollment is 40 participants, so don’t wait to register! This day of training is for people working with school-age youth, grades K–12th. Audience participation, including multiple hands-on, engaging activities, will be the focus. Do activities that you can bring into your programs, and discuss the how and why of implementing those activities!
Participants must register in advance unless otherwise noted. ◆ Those not registered (including children) will not be permitted into the training space. ◆ Any fees must be paid in advance in order to guarantee registration at the training event. ◆ Refunds will not be given for “no shows” or those cancelling less than two weeks prior to the event. ◆ A transaction fee of $20 will be charged on any refund given. ◆ Trainers have the right and responsibility to refuse credit for attendance to anyone who does not stay for the entire session, or who does not participate fully. ◆ By registering, participants agree to have their image used in Network for Youth Success promotional materials, including but not limited to social media, websites, and print.
Scholarship funding to participate in this training may be available through the Educational Incentive Program (EIP). For more information or to apply for a scholarship, please visit www.ecetp.pdp.albany.edu. You may also contact EIP at email@example.com or 800-295-9616. If you have received an EIP scholarship, please sign it and mail it to the Network along with your registration.
*Other Ways to Register
To register via check or EIP, email firstname.lastname@example.org.