Lesson Title: Stand Up or Sit Down for Nutrition
Lesson Objectives: Students will identify healthy and unhealthy foods.
Location(s) to play: Classroom or cafeteria
Time: 15 minutes
Summary of Tasks/Actions:
- For this activity, the afterschool counselor will name a specific food that is either healthy or unhealthy.
- For the healthy foods, the students stand up or perform a specific exercise, such as jumping jacks, squats, lunges, etc.
For the unhealthy foods, the students sit down.
- What did you think of this game?
- What did you learn from the game?
- What would you change to make the learning stronger?
Prepare a lesson on the reasons why each food mentioned is healthy or unhealthy. Explain the health benefits of eating healthy and the harmful effects of eating unhealthy. Use the following resources:
- http://www.nourishinteractive.com/nutrition-education-printables (worksheets for healthy food groups)
Examples of healthy foods: Eggs, fish, chicken, turkey, beans, carrots, spinach, apples, oranges, cherries, strawberries, whole wheat bread, lentils, chickpeas, avocados
Examples of unhealthy foods: French fries, hamburgers, fried chicken, biscuits, bacon, potato chips, candy, chicken nuggets, pizza, ice cream